It’s my turn to offer up arts event picks for Weekend Warriors, and I’ll be honest, when I sat down to write I had nothing on my radar. I was a little worried that I’d struggle to find something to catch my interest. Silly me.
I hit up columbusmakesart.com and quickly saw that there is a TON going on this weekend. Here are my personal top 10.
I love books. LOVE. So let’s start with The Ohioana Book Festival taking place Saturday, April 27 at the main branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library (aka my happy place).
Also taking place this weekend in the world of books is SPACE (small press & alternative comics expo), presented by Back Porch Comics, at Northland Performing Arts Center April 27 & 28. This particular event would pair nicely with the two exhibitions that recently opened at the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library, Drawing Blood: Comics and Medicine and Front Line: Editorial Cartoonists and the First Amendment. The latter is of particular interest to me as I am a journalism alumna and was once an editorial writer.
But wait there’s more ….
- Backstage at the Lincoln featuring Caroline Bennett and Schuyler Johnson, Thursday, April 25.
- Columbus Jazz Orchestra is wrapping up their 2018/19 season this weekend with Gospel & Soul Meet Rock & Roll featuring Quan Howell and Shayna Steele, at the Southern Theatre, April 25-28.
- Parker Louis is playing at Natalie’s Coal Fired Pizza Friday, April 26.
- Wild Art Columbus at Wild Goose Creative is April 27. This one-night show is a fundraiser that also helps folks collect art with each piece in the show being $100 and general admission only $10.
- The Vanderelli Room is showing Earth Day art from central Ohio students on April 28—an event that will include live music and entertainment.
- And, as a fan of Patton Oswalt, I must say thank you CAPA for bringing him to the Ohio Theatre, April 28.
There’s more to find on the events search at columbusmakesart.com share your top picks with #artmakescbus.
Lacey Luce is a digital strategist for the Greater Columbus Arts Council who also knits. She’ll be out celebrating national Local Yarn Store day on April 27 to support small businesses, and indie fiber dyers.