Virtual Art Makes Columbus
The Greater Columbus Arts Council is committed to helping our artists and cultural organizations manage this unprecedented, world-wide crisis. We also understand that the arts can provide a critical connection point for all of us in times of deep fear and despair.
This page will serve as a hub for virtual arts experiences for the people, artists and organizations of Columbus. Columbus area cultural organizations and artists that have virtual, streaming or recorded experiences they would like us to add please email Nick Dekker at email@example.com.
For more resources, see the Short North Arts District guide to supporting its businesses, the Columbus Region's guide to preparing for the future, the Chamber of Commerce's business resources, and Experience Columbus' travel information.
Updated 4/9/2020 at 1:05 p.m.
Virtual Arts Experiences (Scheduled)
- April 9 (7:30-9:30 p.m.): Columbus Speaks hosts a live storytelling event on its Facebook page
- April 9, 12, 16, 19 (6:30-7:30 p.m.): Jazz Arts Group hosts online concerts in its Offstage LIVE series
- April 10, 17, 24 (8-9:30 p.m.): Amber Knicole and Walter K stream live concerts Friday evenings on the AW Duo Facebook page
- April 10-12: CCAD will host a Virtual Spring Art Fair, Apr. 10 at 5 p.m. to Apr. 12 at midnight
- April 11 (1-2 p.m.): 934 Gallery hosts a virtual opening of Red Thread with Emma Brown
- April 11 & 18: Bearthoven and the Johnstone Fund for New Music hosts a live-streamed concert on their respective Facebook pages
- April 17: (8-8:40 p.m.): The Nest Theatre livestreams its Anonymous: Your Secrets, Our Show performance
- April 19 (4:30-5:30 p.m.): Angela Perley livestreams a concert with Chris Connor on Facebook and Instagram
- April 24-26: OhioDance will also host its annual festival and conference virtually
- April 26, May 10, 17, 24, 31, June 7 (3-4 p.m.): The Streetlight Guild streams live concerts select Sunday afternoons
- Now through May 24, Accessible Expressions Ohio will feature a new piece of artwork from its annual exhibition at 9:05 a.m.
Virtual Arts Experiences (Ongoing)
- CD102.5 Big Room Recordings: Enjoy recorded performances by national acts from the history of the CD102.5 Big Room.
- The Columbus Museum of Art and Pizzuti Collection have started their Stay Connected initiative. They are also offering a social media version of their Open Studio, #MYCMASTUDIO; read more info here. Thursdays they will have virtual meditation at noon and virtual yoga at 6 p.m. More details on how to access those programs to come.
- Request a curbside concert for someone who needs a little live music in their lives!
- Dublin Arts Council's Public Art Mobile Tour and geocaching for riverboxes
- Franklin Park Conservatory is offering virtual tours and exhibitions, gardening classes and plant care tips
- Send in a submission for Film Columbus' Stuck at Home short film contest by 10 p.m. on Apr. 15
- Keep up with more ways to support Short North businesses through the Short North Arts District page. (Most North Market vendors remain open for carryout and curbside pickup.)
- The Gateway Film Center is offering a variety of new releases for streaming through their website
- Listen to the McConnell Arts Center orchestra's Voices of Hope concert, recorded in early February
- Public Art around Columbus. Outdoors and all around, use our database to find murals, sculptures and more in your neighborhood and others.
- ProMusica Chamber Orchestra hosts a Virtual Family Concert online.
- Take a virtual tour of the Ohio Theatre with CAPA's Jason Gay.
- OhioDance Virtual Dance Collection: An interactive website that documents, preserves and historicizes dance history and practice within the state of Ohio, with over 100 videos, histories, milestones, over 400 images, and full written transcripts.
- ROY G BIV offers a virtual tour of their latest exhibition: Kena Ramirez Dillon, Blobby Dude Bares It All
- Songs at the Center is listing full episodes online.
- Drive or walk by Melissa Vogley Woods' art installation Always at 964 Neil Ave., best viewed in the evening
- The Wexner Center for the Arts has begun streaming some of its film exhibitions: Agnes Varda retrospective, Vitalina Varela, and more streaming resources on the blog.
Columbus Virtual Education Resources & Projects
- Tune to The Artmobile's Facebook page for a growing list of resources for art lessons and projects.
- Columbus Metropolitan Libraries: Digital library resources – including eBooks, eAudiobooks, magazines, movies and music plus research and learning tools available at columbuslibrary.org.
- COSI is showcasing science videos on COSI Connects.
- Daily Flux and Flow Dance and Movement Classes On-Line
- Take Drawing With Mr. J classes through WOSU
- GROOVE U began a new project this week called The Woodshed, offering online instruction in songwriting, mixing and more a daily series of curated and original content for musicians, engineers, videographers and designers.
- Ohio History Connection's Learn at Home classes.
- Working in conjunction with PBS KIDS, WOSU Classroom has launched a daily e-newsletter packed with ideas for in-home learning. Sign up for free at wosu.org/classroom/learningathome. Parents can also livestream the WOSU Kids channel at wosu.org or on channel 34.4, Spectrum channel 993, and YouTube TV.
- You can also record your experiences during the COVID-19 crisis for WOSU's Letters From Home project
- Get inspiration by joining the Quarantine Creative Outlet Facebook group
National and International Virtual Experiences
- CincyUSA and ArtsWave in Cincinnati have both compiled resources for virtual events
- The Cleveland International Film Festival will begin offering its events virtually.
- Author and illustrator Mo Willems leads a 15-part Lunch Doodles session on the Kennedy Center's YouTube channel
- The National Gallery of Art has begun virtual guided tours, a new one each day, posted on their Facebook page.
- The National Theatre in London is showing past productions every Thursday on their YouTube channel
- Philadelphia's Koresh Dance Company is offering dance and yoga instruction online
- Stay at Home Fest. Virtual festival of live music performances.
- Travel & Leisure posted 12 other museums from around the world offering virtual tours.
- Sir Patrick Stewart is giving daily readings of Shakespeare's sonnets on his Facebook page
- Actors' Theatre of Columbus: season opener King Lear will debut June 18
- CCAD will also host a virtual BFA and MFA Thesis Exhibition this summer. Dates TBA.
- Columbus Gay Men's Chorus: Big Gay Sing: ABBA Sing-Along replacing FABU June 26-28; Illuminati: Songs of the Spirit moving to September
- Columbus Pride Parade: to Oct. 3
- Craftin Outlaws: to Aug. 23
- Madlab Theatre: Theatre Roulette re-schedule to May 28-June
- National Geographic Live "Nature Roars Back" with Bob Poole: June 25 at the McCoy Center
- Neil deGrasse Tyson: to Oct. 7 at the Palace Theatre
- Nikki Glaser: Bang It Out: to Nov. 27 at the Southern Theatre
- Ohioana Book Festival: to Aug. 29 at the Main Library
- The Price Is Right Live: to Aug. 30 at the Palace Theatre
- Ron White: to Sept. 12 at the Palace Theatre
- Short North Stage's Young Frankenstein: to June 4-21
- Vaud-Vilities Productions' Wish You Were Here: to December