What is Art Makes Columbus/Columbus Makes Art?
Art Makes Columbus/Columbus Makes Art is a citywide marketing campaign focused on engaging the general public in the arts by introducing them to the artists that choose to call our city home. The campaign includes outreach that is paid (radio, digital, print and outdoor ads) earned (regular story pitches to media to feature Columbus-based artists) and owned (social media, a twice monthly newsletters and a website that includes a section of multi-media story pages for featured artists, an artist directory, events calendar, public art database, weekly events-centric blog posts and the Artists of Columbus series).
How can artists and arts organizations leverage Art Makes Columbus/Columbus Makes Art?
- Get your event info entered into the Ohio Event Finder database as soon as it is finalized. (For artists, contact the venue hosting your event and make sure they are adding your event to the database). https://www.columbusmakesart.c...
- Find tutorials and tips for entering events online. https://www.ohioeventfinder.com/help
- Please Note: At this time only organizations can enter events and public art directly into OEF.
- Use the logos and other resources on the Raw Assets page wherever possible (digital or print promotions and social media)
Benefits of adding your event ASAP:
- The database feeds multiple online event calendars across Columbus and statewide. Including, ColumbusMakesArt.com, ArtsInOhio.com, Ohio Magazine, Ohio.org, Experience Columbus, DowntownColumbus.com, MYLE.
- Decisions on what to include in the Columbus Makes Art newsletter, Weekend Warriors blog and ads start with a review of what is coming up on the events calendar. When we choose which featured campaign artists to use in ads, we first look to see if they are in any upcoming events. Artists are chosen for ads several months before the ads run.
- Media outreach is sometimes tied to upcoming events.
- Join the Artists Directory https://www.ohioeventfinder.co...
- For artist organized events we have set up a separate Google form to help ensure we’re providing artists the maximum exposure for events. This also helps us monitor duplication with organizations/venues who may enter the event into OEF as part of their marketing outreach. Artists should use this event form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfEriXZer85o7jiSf8pEAO4ruKwJR8H4cVWYQE68o8sSPVLsw/viewform
- Nominate an artist to be part of the campaign (artists can nominate themselves). You can access the “nominate an artist” link from the footer of ColumbusMakesArt.com.
How can artists and arts organizations help amplify the Art Makes Columbus/Columbus Makes Art campaign?
- Engage with Art Makes Columbus/Columbus Makes Art social posts
- Share posts that work with your brand or that you find compelling
- Share our weekly Weekend Warriors blog
- Use the #artmakescbus tag•Display and hand out “Art Fan” stickers
- Use the resources on the Raw Assets page to help provide exposure for Art Makes Columbus and align with our marketing and engagement efforts.
Art Makes Columbus/Columbus Makes Art is on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Please like/follow us!
How are artists chosen for the Art Makes Columbus/Columbus campaign?
In addition to the Artists Directory (which is open to any central Ohio artist), the campaign tells the stories of artists in two ways: The Artists of Columbus Series and with multi-media story pages showcasing a small roster of “featured” campaign artists.
The Artists of Columbus series is hosted on the website and includes short, first-person, anecdotal essays written by the artist along with an image provided by the artist. These essays are shared on social media, in the newsletter and featured on the homepage of the website.
When an artist is nominated (through the form at columbusmakesart.com) they are automatically sent a questionnaire. Every eligible artist who returns the questionnaire is invited to take part in the Artists of Columbus Series. There is no limit to the number of Artists of Columbus posts that we can add per year.
“Featured” campaign artists include a small roster of Columbus-based professional artists in all disciplines who are regularly producing and showing their work. They have story pages on the site, are featured in ads and tapped for select media opportunities.
The selection process for featured artists is more complex and there are a finite number of spots. We look at nominated artists and artists who have participated in the Artists of Columbus series; however, there are several factors that are considered before an invitation is sent out, including (but not limited to) diversity of race, gender, age, and discipline. As the campaign continues, particular emphasis will be placed on expanding into areas where representation is lacking..
VP of Marketing, Communications & Events
Marketing, Communications & Events Strategist