I’m always amazed at how many different things happen around Columbus every weekend. Just when I feel like we’ve had a big weekend – BAM! – the next weekend comes along complete with festivals and concerts and new exhibitions. I searched ColumbusMakesArt.com and found these 10 events happening this week!
- First and foremost, the fourth-annual Columbus Open Studio & Stage is this weekend, Sept. 14-15! Along with the Arts Festival, it’s one of my favorite events of the year. More than 40 Columbus artists will open their studios to the public, so you can visit, take tours, meet the artists, purchase artwork. In addition, seven different museums and theaters will offer guided tours behind the scenes. And a variety of community partner organizations like Phoenix Rising, Wild Goose, Glass Axis will offer free programming. AND… if you get hungry, a collection of Columbus restaurants close to the studios offer special deals for map-holders. See the full details at columbusopenstudioandstage.com.
- I’m also excited for 934 Fest this Friday and Saturday, Sept. 13-14, featuring live mural painting, music, comedy, a song-writing workshop, a Craftin’ Outlaws market and more.
- The Film Festival of Columbus also kicks off on Wednesday, Sept. 11 and runs through Saturday, Sept. 14. The line-up includes over 76 different features, shorts and pilots showing at the Wexner Center and the Gateway Film Center.
- As part of its 140th anniversary, CCAD is featuring a wide range of exhibitions all around the city. You can see the work of four grads through Sept. 29 at Brandt-Roberts Galleries in the Short North.
- The eighth edition of Creative Control Fest is also this Friday and Saturday, Sept. 13-14, with a wealth of speakers and workshops with visual artists, designers, poets and entrepreneurs.
- Available Light Theatre kicks off their latest production, Dance Nation, this Thursday, Sept. 12.
- And on Friday, Sept. 13, the Northland Performing Arts Center open their production of Kiss Me, Kate.
- Sunday night we’re hoping to make it down to Rockmill Brewery in Lancaster for their Summer Sundays Music Series, a collection of free concerts on their spacious grounds. This Sunday, Sept. 15 is Honey & Blue!
- If you’re excited for Cartoon Crossroads Columbus coming later this month, you can whet your appetite by seeing Ohio State grad and best-selling author R.L. Stine at the Billy Ireland Cartoon Research Library on Saturday, Sept. 14. It’s free but you must register!
- Both Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 14-15, the McConnell Arts Center Orchestra performs Peter and The Wolf with Hixon Dance Company.
Enjoy your weekend, and be sure to tag your arts adventures on social media with #artmakescbus!
Nick is Marketing, Communications, & Events Administrator for the Arts Council. He also leads culinary tours and blogs about breakfast at breakfastwithnick.com. This time last week he was dodging bison and boiling hot springs in Yellowstone National Park.