Schoedinger State Street Chapel
In 1855, German immigrant Philip Schoedinger, a cabinet maker, opened his first funeral parlor on South High Street. The Schoedinger Company was the first funeral business to build a chapel expressly for the purpose of funeral services. Known as The Midtown Chapel, the building at 229 East State Street was first constructed during the Civil War era, and until 1918, was the home of renowned Columbus physician, Dr. Starling Loving. The Schoedinger Company is the oldest continuously-owned family business in Columbus.
229 E State St, Columbus, Ohio, 43215
Please note: The Greater Columbus Arts Council (Arts Council) does not own or manage any public art. For the purposes of this database many pieces were entered by the Arts Council while we continue to search for the appropriate owner/manager of the work and other information to complete the entry. The Arts Council has tried to gather all available information about the works in this database, however, we acknowledge there may be missing or inaccurate information. If you can help us correct any inaccuracies, or provide more complete information, we would be grateful. Please use “Something missing? Please send us a note” below.
Something missing? Send us a note.